View Full Version : Front Row content control

John Heaney
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I'll be buying a new iMac soon for use as a media center in my living
room. I was just wondering what kind of control Front Row has on what
content is available through its interface. For example, iPhoto give you
control over what is visible to other computers when you share photos.
Of course, Front Row is actually running on the _same_ computer. Does it
honor the same iPhoto restrictions or does it have its own set of
restrictions?

--
John S. Heaney
I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world,

Simon Slavin
08-28-2006, 11:22 PM
On 26/08/2006, John Heaney wrote in message <heaney-
478F54.11012026082006[at]news.east.cox.net>:

> I'll be buying a new iMac soon for use as a media center in my living
> room. I was just wondering what kind of control Front Row has on what
> content is available through its interface. For example, iPhoto give you
> control over what is visible to other computers when you share photos.
> Of course, Front Row is actually running on the _same_ computer. Does it
> honor the same iPhoto restrictions or does it have its own set of
> restrictions?

Think of Front Row as a front end to iPhoto running on the same machine.
It can see all the photos iPhoto can see. (This may change in OS X 10.5.
I don't know.)

If you plan to use your iMac for two purposes -- both as a personal computer and as something you leave in the living room for other people to use -- then the simple solution is to create two accounts: one you use personally when sitting at the computer, and the other you can leave it logged-into when it runs Front Row. You can copy public photos into the second account.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk

John Heaney
08-31-2006, 03:36 AM
In article <ecvran$k7d$3$8300dec7[at]news.demon.co.uk>,
Simon Slavin <slavins.delete.these.four.words[at]hearsay.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 26/08/2006, John Heaney wrote in message <heaney-
> 478F54.11012026082006[at]news.east.cox.net>:
>
> > I'll be buying a new iMac soon for use as a media center in my living
> > room. I was just wondering what kind of control Front Row has on what
> > content is available through its interface. For example, iPhoto give you
> > control over what is visible to other computers when you share photos.
> > Of course, Front Row is actually running on the _same_ computer. Does it
> > honor the same iPhoto restrictions or does it have its own set of
> > restrictions?
>
> Think of Front Row as a front end to iPhoto running on the same machine.
> It can see all the photos iPhoto can see. (This may change in OS X 10.5.
> I don't know.)
>
> If you plan to use your iMac for two purposes -- both as a personal computer
> and as something you leave in the living room for other people to use -- then
> the simple solution is to create two accounts: one you use personally when
> sitting at the computer, and the other you can leave it logged-into when it
> runs Front Row. You can copy public photos into the second account.

Problem is that I would have to do the same thing with all of the media
I want to access via Front Row. It isn't just photos. Moreover, I really
just have a handful of stuff that I don't want to share. It sound like I
would have an awful lot of duplication using the method you suggest.
Plus, I would purposefully add new items to both accounts.

It's too bad it doesn't work more like sharing because it's really easy
to set up a do not share list of items in both iPhoto and iTunes.

I know Front Row allows you to play media shared by other computers. Is
it possible to have two accounts running simultaneously on the same
machine and have one account share with the other?

--
John S. Heaney
I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world,
but to protect the world from me.

John Heaney
08-31-2006, 03:58 AM
In article <heaney-C9D4B7.22360030082006[at]news.east.cox.net>,
John Heaney <heaney[at]SolidObject.com> wrote:

> In article <ecvran$k7d$3$8300dec7[at]news.demon.co.uk>,
> Simon Slavin <slavins.delete.these.four.words[at]hearsay.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > On 26/08/2006, John Heaney wrote in message <heaney-
> > 478F54.11012026082006[at]news.east.cox.net>:
> >
> > > I'll be buying a new iMac soon for use as a media center in my living
> > > room. I was just wondering what kind of control Front Row has on what
> > > content is available through its interface. For example, iPhoto give you
> > > control over what is visible to other computers when you share photos.
> > > Of course, Front Row is actually running on the _same_ computer. Does it
> > > honor the same iPhoto restrictions or does it have its own set of
> > > restrictions?
> >
> > Think of Front Row as a front end to iPhoto running on the same machine.
> > It can see all the photos iPhoto can see. (This may change in OS X 10.5.
> > I don't know.)
> >
> > If you plan to use your iMac for two purposes -- both as a personal
> > computer
> > and as something you leave in the living room for other people to use --
> > then
> > the simple solution is to create two accounts: one you use personally when
> > sitting at the computer, and the other you can leave it logged-into when it
> > runs Front Row. You can copy public photos into the second account.
>
> Problem is that I would have to do the same thing with all of the media
> I want to access via Front Row. It isn't just photos. Moreover, I really
> just have a handful of stuff that I don't want to share. It sound like I
> would have an awful lot of duplication using the method you suggest.
> Plus, I would purposefully add new items to both accounts.
>
> It's too bad it doesn't work more like sharing because it's really easy
> to set up a do not share list of items in both iPhoto and iTunes.
>
> I know Front Row allows you to play media shared by other computers. Is
> it possible to have two accounts running simultaneously on the same
> machine and have one account share with the other?

So I did an experiment. I started up iTunes on my main account. Then I
went to another account on the same machine using fast switching. I
opened up iTunes, which had no music in it at all. The shared playlist
from my main account did show up, though. So would that work for Front
Row? The idea would be that when company comes over I can just run both
accounts and switch to the alternate one and all the stuff I want to
"share" would be available.

--
John S. Heaney
I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world,
but to protect the world from me.

Simon Slavin
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
On 30/08/2006, John Heaney wrote in message <heaney-
C9D4B7.22360030082006[at]news.east.cox.net>:

> Problem is that I would have to do the same thing with all of the media
> I want to access via Front Row. It isn't just photos. Moreover, I really
> just have a handful of stuff that I don't want to share. It sound like I
> would have an awful lot of duplication using the method you suggest.

No need to duplicate at all. Use the public account for almost
everything. For the few files you don't want to share, use your private
account.

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk

John Heaney
09-04-2006, 02:47 PM
In article <edd1a8$2lt$1$8300dec7[at]news.demon.co.uk>,
wrote:

> On 30/08/2006, John Heaney wrote in message <heaney-
> C9D4B7.22360030082006[at]news.east.cox.net>:
>
> > Problem is that I would have to do the same thing with all of the media
> > I want to access via Front Row. It isn't just photos. Moreover, I really
> > just have a handful of stuff that I don't want to share. It sound like I
> > would have an awful lot of duplication using the method you suggest.
>
> No need to duplicate at all. Use the public account for almost
> everything. For the few files you don't want to share, use your private
> account.

I appreciate the effort, but that doesn't sound like what I want. I want
my main account to provide me with access to everything I have. The I
want a means of just allowing certain media files to be available for
Front Row when I have company over. It sounds like you're suggesting I
go to another account to access my "private" data.

I think the file sharing preferences in iTunes and iPhoto will do
exactly what I want. I'll just set up a separate account for guests.
From my main account, I'll share whatever albums and playlist I want,
make sure iPhoto and iTunes are running and then switch over to the
guest account. From there, only the shared media will be visible.
Assuming Front Row can deal with that setup, it seems perfect.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers.